Activate Your Roku
After you buy a new Roku device, you should first activate the device to enjoy all the streaming contents. For that, you need to have a Roku account. You should link the device to a Roku account to activate it. Follow the steps to activate or link your Roku streaming device as you find below.
The following steps given below are the set of instructions that are common for any Roku streaming player.
Choose the right cable:
- Roku player will work on any TV that has HDMI connectivity.
- Use high-speed HDMI cable when you connect your Roku streaming device to your TV.
- If you are using older model TVs, you can opt for the standard composite video connection.
Setting up your Roku device:
- Connect your Roku streaming player and your TV using the appropriate cable. (HDMI/composite cables)
- Certain model Roku devices comes with Ethernet port. You can choose to connect to the internet using the Ethernet cable.
- If your model of Roku device does not have an Ethernet port, then connect the device to a wireless network.
- For Using the Ethernet cable:
- Connect the Ethernet cord one end to the device and the other end to any available slot on the router.
- For wireless connectivity read under the device setup section.
- Connect the power cord to the device and to a wall mount power supply.
- If it’s a streaming stick, you can directly insert the dongle on to the TV to power it.
- You can also power the streaming stick using a USB cable with external power supply.
- Remove the back cover of the Roku remote.
- Insert the batteries into the remote. Put the cover back and close the remote.
- Make sure you choose the correct input source on your TV.
- Power on your Roku device. On your TV screen you will see the logo of Roku.
After you do the basic setup, power on the Roku device. See the Roku logo on the screen. After you see that, do the following steps given below.
- Choose your desired language first. Make sure you choose your language carefully.
- Use the Roku remote to navigate and scroll up and down and click ok to confirm the language selection.
Wireless network connectivity:
- Connect your Roku device now to a wireless network
- If you have chosen a wired connection then skip the below steps.
- From the list of wireless network choose your network name.
- Provide the password you have set for your network.
- Click on Scan if you cannot find your network.
- Make sure you provide the password carefully. Keep in mind passwords are case sensitive.
- Choose the show password option so that you can provide the password without a mistake.
- Click on Connect after you provide the password.
- After you connect it to the wireless network, the device will update its software to the latest.
- After the download is complete, install the updated software and reboot it.
- You do not have to manually configure the display settings.
- Based on your HDMI connection the Roku player will automatically set the display resolution.
- Click on settings using the Roku remote.
- Choose Display Type from the settings menu and change the display settings manually.
Activating the Roku device:
- You will receive an activation code after your Roku device downloads the latest software after you connect to the internet.
- Make a note of the code.
- Visit the Roku website using your mobile or computer.
- On the website, provide the activation code you have taken down.
- Click on submit after you enter the code.
Make sure you complete all the instructions you see on the screen. Skipping a step may not activate your device.
- Log in with your Roku sign-in credentials. If you do not have a Roku account, create one using the steps given below.
- After you sign in to your account, use the payment methods you have saved when creating the account to purchase a channel (is it is a paid channel).
- You can also create a pin to secure your payment information and prevent unauthorized purchases.
- You have successfully linked your Roku device to a Roku account.
Create a Roku account:
After you complete the basic setup, you should activate your Roku device. To do that, you need to have a Roku account. Create a Roku account with the following steps. Roku account keeps track of which Roku device you own.
- Click on the signup page on the Roku website.
- Choose create account from the login page.
- Fill in the Sign-up form. Make sure you have a valid email address to create the Roku account.
- Provide a password to protect the account.
- Give the payment details such as your credit card number.
Note: Remember there is no charge for creating a Roku account
- Use the payment details you provide to purchase a channel or pay a subscription.